Court Frequently Asked Questions

Is there an alternative to filing a Small Claim?

Yes, you can contact ACCORD (A Center for Dispute Resolution, Inc.). This is a  free mediator service. In Broome County, you can call (607) 724-5153 or contact via email.

How do I make my fine payment to the Court?

Personal checks are not accepted: Personal/business checks will be returned.

  • Cash / Money Order – must be made payable to Town of Binghamton Court (no additional fees). You may pay by cash or money order during regular office hours or by mail. Mail your payment to Town of Binghamton Town Court, 279 Park Avenue, Binghamton, NY 13903.
  • Visa / MasterCard – (A 2.99% service fee will be assessed). You may pay by credit card during regular office hours or following the instruction on your fine notice to submit a credit card payment by mail.
  • Pay Online – a convenience fee will apply. Click Here to Pay Online
  • By Telephone – 1-888-912-1541 (a convenience fee will apply).
  • Drop Box – There is a drop box located in the lobby of the Town Hall and one located outside the front door of the Town Hall for your convenience. A money order is the safest option when dropping payment into one of our boxes. Always include your name, date of birth, and case # if possible when submitting your payment so that your payment is applied to the proper account.
How do I answer my traffic ticket?

Every motorist receiving a ticket must respond to the ticket.

If the charge(s) are NOT misdemeanors, you can either appear on the date listed on the ticket, or you can sign the back and enter your plea of either guilty or not guilty. You then mail it to the court at the following address:

Town of Binghamton Court
279 Park Avenue
Binghamton, NY 13903

NOTE: Review your ticket(s). To plead guilty, complete Section A of your ticket. To plead not guilty, complete Section B of your ticket.

Upon a plea of guilty, the judge will impose a sentence that could consist of a fine. Also imposed would be the NYS mandated surcharge. You will be notified by mail of the amount due and the process to make the payment.

Upon a plea of not guilty, you will be scheduled for a pre-trial conference. Once your plea of not guilty is received and accepted by the court, you will receive the notice scheduling this conference.

If you have been charged with a misdemeanor, you must appear in person on the date and time listed on the ticket.

Why isn’t the fine listed on my ticket?

Because the judge will assess the penalty. Once a plea of guilty has been entered, the judge determines the sentence, and in most cases, assesses the fine on each ticket filed in the court. Once assessed, a Notice of Fine will be mailed to you with the amount due and the instruction for payment.

Do I need a lawyer to appear in court with me?

Although you are not required to have an attorney, it is recommended that you proceed to trial with the aid of counsel/attorney.


Contact Information

Hours of Operation

Tuesday & Thursday:
10 a.m. to 4 p.m.


NOTE:  The District Attorney / Public Defender are present at 1 p.m. on the following days: 
4th Wednesday of January, March, May, July, Sept., and November


(607) 772-0357, press 5 


(607) 240-5331


279 Park Avenue
Binghamton, NY 13903
United States
See map: Google Maps

Subscribe To Our Mailing List

Subscribe To Our Mailing List

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from the Town of Binghamton.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest